Mastectomy is the surgical removal of a part of the entirety of the breast. Mastectomy is the most common procedure used by doctors to treat or prevent breast cancer in women. Lymph nodes in the underarm and other tissues surrounding the breast, such as the chest muscle, might get removed during a mastectomy.
Breast reconstruction surgery can be done at the same time of a mastectomy. Or as a separate procedure depending on the case.
Radiation, hormone therapy, and chemotherapy are some of the other medications that can be prescribed after a mastectomy.
Mastectomy – The Procedure
- The surgeon makes an incision into the chest during the procedure.
- Then, the infected portion of the breast is removed completely or partially. The lymph nodes and muscles of the chest wall might also get resected during the procedure.
- Based on your condition, age, medical background, general health, and personal preference, your surgeon will advise you on the best-suited treatment. Every case is unique and that dictates the time one has to spend in the hospital post-surgery.
Types of mastectomy
The type of mastectomy is determined by the level and the type of breast cancer one has –
- Simple mastectomy – Simple mastectomy is when the whole breast is removed. It is also known as total mastectomy. The breast tissue, nipple, areola, and skin are all removed surgically during the procedure. During this operation, the underarm lymph nodes and chest muscles do not get impacted.
- Partial mastectomy – A partial mastectomy, also known as a lumpectomy or segmental mastectomy, is a surgical procedure that removes cancerous breast tissues from the patient. A small area of natural breast tissue will be removed around the cancer-infected area by the surgeon.
- Radical mastectomy – The most extensive mastectomy procedure is a radical mastectomy. The entire breast, including the breast tissue, nipple, areola, and skin, is removed during a radical mastectomy. In addition to that, the underlying chest muscles including the pectoralis major and pectoralis minor are removed strategically.
UAE: A popular destination for Mastectomy
On a global scale, UAE lists among some of the best places for medical treatments. The treatment of mastectomy cost in the United Arab Emirates is comparatively cheaper. This is why the United Arab Emirates is an ideal destination for most people seeking mastectomy surgery. When you combine it with the high standards of healthcare professionals and facilities, you have the perfect destination for preventing cancer cells from spreading. If you are thinking about having a mastectomy, the United Arab Emirates is the best destination to opt for.
We will provide you the most up-to-date details on mastectomy in Dubai so you can make the best possible decision.
MediGence strives to connect the entire healthcare ecosystem of professionals and patients through a centralized platform, which is easily accessible from every part of the world. The telemedicine platform unveiled its state-of-the-art video conferencing and communications capabilities with the intention to unify and connect patients with the best doctors or specialists from any corner of the world. This enables the patient to avail world-class consultation from the safety and comfort of their home.
MediGence harnesses the power of the latest technology to make exceptional healthcare accessible globally.